tungsten wire was Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:41:10 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: tungsten wire was Re: Wimshurst machines (fwd)

At 11:30 AM 11/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]

Tungsten wire in very small sizes is used in the entertainment and
advertising business to make invisible supports for things. If you see that
candy bar floating in the air in front of the actor, it might well be
someone with a fishing pole and 1 mil tungsten wire supporting it.  At any
distance at all, the small, black wire is smaller than your visual resolution.

Suspendo is one trade name for the stuff. A wholesaler (who could give you
the names of local dealers in small quantities) is Reel EFX, Inc. in North
Hollywood CA (818)762-1710 (www.reelefx.com)