Van Der Graaf Rollers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:44:30 -0700
From: Daniel Reinders <danreind@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Van Der Graaf Rollers

Hi All,

I'm wondering how bulbous the rollers of a Van Der Graaf machine should be
to keep the belt on track?  I've had a nylon and a pvc roller (1.5" diam)
lathed out with a slight bulge, approximately accomplished by lathing out at
10-15 degrees from the centerline.  But my 6" Theraband wants to fold over
in two, which means I could get by with a 3" band I suppose but only by
compromising my charging rate.  Also what shape is most appropriate for the
roller - are we talking quasi-circular over the full length, or can the main
portion be flat with just the ends being strongly tapered?

Thanks for any advice,

Dan Reinders