Re: Van der Graaff generator details. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:00:11 -0600
From: Dr. Resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van der Graaff generator details. (fwd)

Finn:

There is another way the works quite well for large termination design.

We made a 2 MEV VDGRF by turning a cylinder 90 degrees on its side and then
using two large hemispheres (sphere actually cut in half) for end caps.  The
cylinder can be either metal or even rolled up medium mesh wire.

Supports are 3 two inch dia. fiberglass (haysite) rods which go through
small holes and suspend the sphere in space.  The belt hole is a neatly cut
slot with the surfaces slightly curved inward.  Our sphere was elevated
approx 14 ft. above ground.

Our cylinder/sphere was 4 ft. dia. x 7 ft. long.  This allowed us to run a
36 inch wide belt into the slot and we got out 550 uA at 2 x 10^6 Volts.
Beautiful 6-7 ft. long sparks and very hot.

This design could be either upscaled or downscaled to suit your needs.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913