Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:06:20 -0600
From: Gomez <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: virus-containing "tesla" / "vacuum tube" message circulated
    (fwd)

On Wednesday, September 10, 2003, at 09:08  AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

This has been a popular myth for sometime now.  It was believed that
putting a bogus email address at the very top of your list of addresses
would prevent you infecting other people if you got a virus.  It was
incorrectly believed that an infecting worm virus would get stuck at
the bogus address and not be able to continue to mail itself out to the
valid addresses in your contacts list.  People who have spread this
myth quote the tip as coming from a popular PC magazine, that same
magazine posted an article stating that the information is false.
Although adding a bogus email address doesnt hurt anything, at the same
time, it is not helping either.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
trick.address.book.entry.html
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml#bang0000