Re: Lifter with lights (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:00:31 -0300
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Lifter with lights (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:

> From: Peter Terren <pterren1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> You are right (a bit).  This was sold as a 30 kV 50 uA supply.
> However, my measurements tonight are:
> Input 24 V  0.80 A  = 19 W
> Output (measured after argons).
> no load (argons only but no wires to lifter)  ?30 kV 100 uA
> plus HV Meter (100 uA FSD movement)    28 kV  130 uA   =  3.6 W
> plus lifter  (no dropping resistor)                  22 kV  400 uA   =  8.8
> ie Net current is around 270 uA and net power used by lifter is around 5 W.

Ok. Several hundreds of uA is the minimum that these things appear to
require. Maybe a super light one would rise with 50 uA. I tried to make
one powered by an electrostatic machine that coud produce up to 100
uA. The power was not enough, but the wind was significant. The question
is just how to make a solid enough structure with really minimum weight.
Maybe paper painted with conductive ink instead of metal foil? Or a thin
wire net?

> What would a 1500 W lifter look like?

One with many small sections in parallel. The same voltage but lots of
current.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz