Re: van de graaff tube (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 09:33:00 -0700
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: van de graaff tube (fwd)

On Dec 4, 2004, at 8:28 PM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:15:54 -0800
> From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: van de graaff tube (fwd)
>
> "Clearly, one should use the largest pulleys one can, so as to achieve
> the greatest belt surface speed for a given RPM.  ABEC 6 roller
> bearings should give fairly low noise.  One might also try polished
> stainless rod running in a Teflon block."
>
> 	If pulley driving speed is an option, for any given inner diameter of
> the column there must be an optimum pulley diameter / belt width
> tradeoff.  Widest belt means smallest pulley diameter and maximum shaft
> speed for given belt speed while largest pulley diameter means
> narrowest
> belt.

That is true.

> 	Would the teflon block really be OK with any significant belt tension?

True, it does.  I was assuming low pressure.  I guess it would depend
on the belt tension.  Define "significant".  :)  With a paper belt,
tension could be rather high.  With a rubber belt, tension would not
seem to be an issue.

> The darn stuff does cold flow.  Wonder how nylon would work?

Nylon or Nylatron (graphite impregnated nylon bearing stock) would work
great.

  - Gomez

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the
privileges or
immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State
deprive any
person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor
deny to
any person within its jurisdiction the EQUAL protection of the laws."