Doubler movie (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:56:48 -0300
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Doubler movie

Hi:

I found this site, of a science museum in Geneva, Switzerland:
http://mah.ville-ge.ch/musee/mhs/sciences.html
In the section about electricity, they have a movie showing a
"doubler of electricity" in operation. It's apparently the machine
described by John Read, by 1790.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/doubler1801.jpg
A variation of Nicholson's doubler (actually, identical):
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/nicholson.html

Two long papers about doublers, published in 1801 in the "Annalen
der Physik", can be found at http://gallica.bnf.fr. Most of the