Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:16:35 -0500
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

Sounds like a nice machine!  How does it perform?  Are there any
photos of it posted anywhere?  This thread has gotten me really
interested in building one myself.   The last Van de Graaff I built
was in grade school about  26 years ago.  I had little mechanical
skill and the thing didn't work at all.  These days I think I could
do a bit better, and I have a nice 50kV DC supply that would
probably be perfect for charging the belt.

Has anyone here ever tried to build a Van de Graaff with a belt like
those used by pelletrons?  The belt would not be easy to build, but I
wonder if there is any sort of a device that uses a chain that could
be modified with insulated links.  Here's some info on pelletrons for
anyone interested:

http://www.pelletron.com/charging.htm

Zap!

Charles Brush