Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:38:39 -0800
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff generator safety question (fwd)

">
>> Having the
>> hole there to begin with is an advantage, but one that's hard to
>> exploit.  I wonder about a power nibbler?
>
> Some stainless steels are among the hardest metals known!!  All they
> have
> to do is mix them right.  These seem to actually have been cast rather
> than
> spun.  If all so, they may shatter a power nibbler!

/me suddenly remembers that you can get carbide bits (somewhere) for
Roto-Zip tools..."

	Lots of places.  See them at swap meets and places like Harbor Freight
Tool Supply.  I have quite a few and have some disks about 1" in
diameter which work well cutting glass and stuff like that.  Got them
for about four bits each at swap meet but haven't seen them lately.
Haven't tried one on SS but suspect there would be trouble when they cut
through the metal.  I think I'll try one on a piece of 1/32" sheet and
see how long the tool last.

Ed