Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:47:38 -0500
From: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

>I guess all of those who've looked at those pictures again have come up
>with our own way of making a "belt".  In thinking about that I came up
>with a fundamental question which might inhibit further efforts.  If the
>individual pellets are conducting, which seems necessary, don't their
>edges form a chain of little spark gaps

    Sort of.

>and isn't the maximum output voltage for a given length limited by
>
 >breakdown between the pellets?
     Sort of.

    There is no voltage difference between the pellets,
    as such, that is (thought experiment):

        IF the belt were removed, there would be no difference.

 >If so, it would seem that to get interesting voltages the machine would
 >have to be run in an insulating gas under pressure.
    I THINK the voltage is strictly that due to the end terminals,
    and specifically, due to the charge accumulated
    thereon.  This is the same limit as  imposed by
    sparking down the column of a conventional vdG,

    If I'm mthinking clearly...

>	Comments?

    As bove.
    8)>>