Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:41:23 -0200
From: Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz <acmq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:

> From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>

> 1) Anything with edges/angles could do this.  Spheres would be better.
> 2) No reason why, if we were to use spheres on a string, we could not include an
> insulating disc between each sphere:
>
> -0-|-0-|-0-|-0-
>
> This should still run through the pulleys quite happily.
>
> We've seen some real innovation through the Tesla list - could it be the turn of
> the electrostatic machine to benefit from this wonderful international
> collaboration?

I wonder if Christmas decorations in the form of metallized (?) plastic
beads in a string can be used directly. Anyway, it's not necessary to
have high conductivity on the pellets. A simple experimental machine can
be built with a string of styrofoam balls in an insulating string.
The balls can be alternately painted with conductive ink (China, or
Nankin, ink is enough), or have a conductive band painted around them.
For something stronger, light wood balls alternated with plastic beads
are a possibility.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz