RE: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:29:04 -0500
From: Charles Brush <cfbrush@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Van de Graaff /Pelletron (fwd)

Yes the Tesla page is pretty poor, though the coils themselves work
well.  The pages on the history and construction of the big VDG are
fascinating (the photos).  Here are some small QT movies of it in
operation.  That cage that is being struck by the discharges in the
second one is pretty big.  The guy who runs the whole show is in
there along with a big control panel.  The whole cage is raised and
lowered by a hydraulic piston:

http://voltnet.com/temp/GraaffRapidFire.mov

http://voltnet.com/temp/VanDeGraaffwCage.mov

These were shot a couple of years ago.  At the end of the show they
crank up the VDG a bit more so that some of the bolts hit the
grounded wires that enclose the entire exhibit.  I didn't capture
that unfortunately (I was using a digital still camera with a movie
function that I wasn't too familiar with at the time).

zap!

Charles Brush