Re: "Flyback" Driver - Why are my MOSFETS hot? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:39:15 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Flyback" Driver - Why are my MOSFETS hot? (fwd)

Hi Matt,

On 1 Jul 2004, at 19:48, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxx>

Is the core gapped? The average current doesn't give a good idea of
the peak currents. What is the duty cycle of the driving waveform? Do
you have a circuit you can post? Better still, an oscillogram of the
waveforms across the MOSFETs?

Some quick and dirty calcs:

ASSUMPTION: duty cycle is 50%

Ipk = V*Ton/Lp = 24*25e-6/2e-4 = 3A   which sounds OK ASSUMING the
core is gapped.

How many turns on the primary? What is the effective pole area (Ae)
of the core? From that information I can calculate the core flux and
determine whether B (flux density) is being kept to a reasonable
level. You should be able to do this all with a single MOSFET and I
speak from experience.

If the core is not gapped, you may be running into trouble.

Malcolm