Test: Integrated Power Switches - some numbers (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:13:22 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Test: Integrated Power Switches - some numbers

Hi All

Further to my posting on the HV unit driven by the LT1171, I can reveal some
figures:

Voltage in from two zinc-carbon lantern batteries: 11.74V
Approximate input current: 170mA
Calculated input power: 11.74V x 170mA = 2W approx.

Output voltage: 2750V

Assuming only 50% of what goes in comes out, estimate output power of:
(2W / 2) / 2750V = 1/2750 = 360uA

Drawing a "fizzy" arc puts the input current up to 1.6A and drags the battery
voltage down to about 8V.  P=1.6 x 8 = 12.8W.  HV down to about 2200V - I
estimate a couple of mA out, but not for long if you look at the battery voltage!

In the time that it has taken me to write this, battery voltage is down to
11.14V - I was probably better off using the NiMH packs (4 x AA in a clip).

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy