Re: Multisection HV terminal (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:46:01 -0600
From: Dr. Resonance <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multisection HV terminal (fwd)

I've also wrestled with the problem of making a large HV terminal,
especially one that can be manufactured for a reasonable cost.

One of the best designs for very large terminals is a long cylinder that is
horizontal.  A 60 inch dia. rolled aluminum cylinder with a pair of
hemi-circle endplates makes a great HV terminal.  Costs for the hemispheres
are reasonable and the cylinder in relatively inexpensive as compared to
spinning large spheres and oblates.

For Van de Graaff applications this design allows you to use very wide belts
up to 40 inches in width for rapid charge and very high terminal currents.

The Quebec design sounds simple until you consider all the "stalks" that are
required to support the plates.  Getting these angles correct and getting
inside the beast to do all the welding is very tough.

Dr. Resonance

http://www.hydroquebec.com/technology/ireq/varennes/pdf/high-voltage_lab.pdf