Re: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:13:18 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

Jack Vandam wrote:
> Subject: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs?

Personally, I'd try a suitable silicone caulking compound - look for one that is
supposed to be oil resistant.  I've found in the past that epoxies haven't
always bonded to the substrate that well, whereas silicones (especially the
stuff I use on the iron roof of my shed) stick really well and are suitably
waterproof - thus potentially oil proof.

What you may like to do is try making a dummy gland on a plastic drink bottle
and testing like this.  That way, if it doesn't work, you can just throw it away
and try again.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy

Outside temperature:  20.9 degrees Celcius.
Wind due South, 12.1km/hr gusting to 14.0km/hr
Temperatures today (avg/max/min):  17.4/ 23.3/ 14.3 degrees Celcius.
Max wind speed today 24.6km/hr at 06:25
Precipitation today: 0.254mm