RE: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:23:30 -0800
From: David Trimmell <humanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: stopping leakage of mineral oil from wire feedthroughs? (fwd)

Hi Jack, if you are using a insulated wire from the transformer that is
under oil, and running that wire all the way out to your project, then you
will have many issues with oil. The space between the wires insulation and
the copper will easily transport good quantities of the oil out via
capillary action. The best way to immerse something in oil and run wire out
is to run the connection from the transformer to the lid of its container,
where you have placed a bolt (preferably with a ceramic insulator) through
this penetration. Seal both sides well with an epoxy. Connect to the
out-side... Note that PE does not make good seals with any epoxies or glues
(within affordable range), so (as I am going to ;-)) use a Plexiglas or PVC
lid for your penetrations.

Good luck,

David Trimmell