Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:06:43 -0700
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

On Nov 12, 2004, at 8:33 AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:03:50 -0800
> From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: cheap way to test "doorknob" capacitors? (fwd)

Provided you stay within the frequency range permitted by the FCC for
such machinery.

>  so if the C changes by 0.1%, it's not a big deal.

I guess that depends on the L.

>   After all, the tolerance on these caps is typically 20%.
> The last one uses these caps as RF bypass, not as part of a tuned
> circuit,

Transmitter output filters are very much tuned circuits, I am not
talking about
power supplies, I'm talking about low pass and bandpass circuits.

> again the wide tolerance range isn't a problem.

Depends on how clean you want your signal to be, I suppose.