Any Interest in 30-40 kVA Power Supplies (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:39:44 -0500
From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Any Interest in 30-40 kVA Power Supplies

Our thanks to everyone that contributed useful information as we unraveled the mystery of the X-ray transformer.
We went back and talked the shop owner into letting us photocopy the user manual and schematics.  Here is the
acutual schematic of the contents of the transformer cases:

http://www.dawntreader.net/xray/XrayPSUschematic.jpg

We were so delighted with this power supply and the 60-lb., 145 Amp, 250 volt variable autotransformer that is the
line input controller for it, that we went back to shop owner and bought everything he had for few thousand
dollars.  For about 4 tons of transformers and controllers, this was actually one hell of deal.  If anyone on this
list lives anywhere within reasonable driving distance of us (Memphis, TN) and would like to have their very own
such unit, please contact off-list.  The price would be the same as our cost but you would have to come and get the
monster.

ALSO, another question has arisen.  One of the power supplies was for a large 'mobile' x-ray unit that actually
operated from a large storgage capacitor rather than a power tranformer.  Through the action of a 'modest'
(relatively) transformer about the size of a big MOT (240VAC in and 10,000VAC out) the capacitor charges to 125,000
volts and stores 2 uF at that voltage.  The capacitor is about 24" cubic and weighs 176 pounds!  It is divided into
2 halves (seperate cans) and each one has 3 terminals.  Both cans have 2 small terminals labeled AC and E.  Then,
each has a huge terminal with large glass insulator that reads H+ on one and H- on another.  Fully charged, the
potential on one is +62.5 kVDC and on the other it is -62.5 kVDC

We were also able to buy many 10's of feet of 500,000 volt rated, inch thick, corona suppressed cable with
electrodes that plug into the 125 kV transformers.  So, using the cable itself laid out in a spiral as the primary
for a tesla, we might be able to put 125 kV into the primary of our large coil. The question is how to hook up this
monster capacitor as the primary tank capacitor for this coil????

Any ideas???

Carl Litton
Home 901-377-4973
Work  901-374-5747