Re: HV supply from LCD Monitor (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:49:41 +1300
From: Malcolm Watts <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HV supply from LCD Monitor (fwd)

Hi Matthew,

On 3 Oct 2004, at 21:49, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:16:02 +0930
> From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: HV supply from LCD Monitor
>
> Greetings
>
> I have a very small HV unit, salvaged from an LCD monitor.  I think it
> provided power to the (cold cathode?) backlight.
>
> 1) Looking at the way the transformer is wound (flat transformer -
> series of bobbins on HV side) and track/pin spacings at the "hot" end,
> it looks like this is designed to produce kV's.  Anyone know any
> ballpark figures for what similar devices put out?

I wouldn't expect to see more than 200VAC loaded and probably
considerably less. That method of winding the secondary is not only
to assist with insulation integrity but probably more importantly, to
minimize the distributed winding capacitance.

Malcolm

> 2) The device has 7 pins on the logic side.  Is there any chance that
> this could be run just by connecting two of them?  Two of the pins are
> identifiable as ground (I assume 0V of either a +5V or +12V supply),
> leaving five others as unknowns.

Not enough info to make a judgement at this distance.