Re: Hv probe for lifter project (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:34:39 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hv probe for lifter project (fwd)

I would feel uncomfortable holding anything connected to 50KV so I am not
really keen on the HV probe style.  If your earth connection comes off then
you get 50kV at 50uA at the end.
My stand alone meter seems to work well and measures peak AC.  It has ranges
of 1kv, 10kv and 100kv.  It is no good at flyback frequencies for AC but
50Hz seems fine. It works well to 50 - 60kv but the resistor chain will tend
to arc over at perhaps 80kv and needs better spacing.
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/Other_HV_stuff.htm#Voltmeter

Peter