RE: X-ray Power Supplies (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:32:22 -0500
From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: X-ray Power Supplies (fwd)

Thank you, Peter.  (and to others responding) Great site and pictures.
OK on the ballast; I have MOT's stacked up like cordwood around here.
Short the primary leads to each other and put the secondary in series
with the HV output, no?

We, of course, had to open up the behemoth as soon as it was off of the
truck.  Lots of oil, but no discernable capacitor?

HUGE iron-core toriodal transformer at the bottom - incredible and in
perfect appearing condition (new looking actually).  A second medium
sized transformer (or inductor or something) just under the lid.  8 rows
of 10 rectifying diodes (presumably given the fact that output can also
be read on DC scale).  No capacitor though?

Grime removed from spec plate to reveal:

Bennett X-ray Corp. Model T-835
Mfd.  December 1976
Volts:  220
Max rating m.a.:  330
KVP:  125
****Amp MOM:  2
****Amp L.T.  132

****???uncertain meaning

7 lug terminals on top (of which only the first 3 are understood -
primary input).  They are labeled:

P,   PC,  G,   FC,   FF,   FB,   M1,   M2

*****I put 1.0 +/- 0.5 VAC across the primary and read both 492 VAC and
858 VDC on the secondary!  *****  Wow.

This is truly a non-trivial find.

Carl Litton