Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch) ignition coil (fwd)

Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:29:24 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Maximum input voltage for "can" style (Lucas/Bosch) ignition coil

Hi All

Can anyone comment on what voltage can be put through the primary of an
old canned (oil-filled) ignition coil without causing permanent damage?

This would only be a pulse, non-repetitive.

I'm back on my Kodak photoflash solid-state Marx idea; caps are charged
through diodes, solid-state relays will switch the caps into series.
I'm proposing a test using four caps, at about 300V each.

At 1200V, that's only 100 times the designed input voltage of the coil...

The SSRs are all 240V (therefore capable of withstanding 340V DC), 10A.

And yes, this whole lot will be powered by a single 'AA' cell.  (The
SSRs will be triggered by a 4.8V NiMH pack, but as it's just switching,
I don't think that's cheating.)

I'm no longer trying to kill snails (whacking them with a half-brick is
doing the job fine) - I just want to see how big a spark I can get from
an 'AA' cell...

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> | Home: <http://www.mss.cx>

The time here is 11:20 and the temperature outside is 13.7°C; today's
maximum is 15.7°C with a minimum of 10.6°C.  We have had 0.0mm of rain
today, with a total of 12.6mm in the last week.  The wind is currently
due ESE, gentle breeze, force 3 (11.4mph), gusting to moderate, force 4
(16.4mph).