Marx generator (fwd)

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:55:02 +0100
From: Herwig Roscher <herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Marx generator

I am repeating this post, as it obviously has not made it to the
list:
S U C C E S S !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kurt Schraner of Switzerland gave me the decisive hint: "IIRC Steve
Ward recommended to invert the polarity of the loading voltage. This
could
improve the discharge length possibly".

I tried this and to my surprise the discharge length rose from 13.4"
21.3" at 21 kV. Now the negative lead of the HV - PSU loads the bank
through a 10 M resistor and the positive lead serves as reference.
The
negative lead is connected to the 3rd wire of the wall outlet, but a
connection to a "good" RF ground certainly would be better. The spark
gap
distances were checked to be exactly 0.28" and they were. Nothing
else was
changed.

Now I'm satisfied with the performance of my system, but I would like
the know the reason for this unexpected behavior of the bank of
course.
Any ideas?

Bye		Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil !