Re: Silicone Sealants in Electrical Applications (fwd)

Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:08:16 -0500
From: Luc Benard <ludev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Silicone Sealants in Electrical Applications (fwd)

Hi Matthew,

I saw that nobody reply to your message I'm not an expert but may be I
could help, silicone is a good insulating material when it's dry, the
red color one call RTV is supposedly better for HV and better resist
temperature up to 315C ( 600F ). Some High temp. and HV device are
potted in this kind of silicone, but they use a liquid form of it and I
think with a different hardener, in the past I tried to find this
product for a similar usage but I think it's only available in large
quantity for industrial usage. May be you could try potting with RTV
but it'll be hard to get ride of the bubble even with vacuum and you'll
need to wait a long time for the product to completely dry and lost all
the acetic acid ( corrosive and conducting ).

Cheers,

Luc Benard