Solid-State Marx (fwd)

Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:17:13 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Solid-State Marx

Hi All

This idea started off as something driven by the flash unit from a
disposable camera until I realised that I'd forgotten about driving the
MOSFET gates!

Here's the schematic:
<http://www.mss.cx/img/ssmarx1_sch.png>  (image 917x348px, 5.8kbytes)

I have a rail of spare MOSFETs that can be used in this design:
PHP6N60E; Vdss=600V, Id=5.4A, Rds[on] < 1.8 Ohms

Capacitors are photoflash types from disposable cameras.

Assume that the input voltage to the circuit is about 250V.

What would be the best way to achieve switching of the charging
transistors?  Put gate windings on the step-up transformer for
synchronous rectification (lose the diode)?

(I'm going to worry about the discharge part once I've got the charging
sorted.)

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith