Re: Can crushing (fwd)

Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:42:46 +0800
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can crushing

For those with an interest in can crushing, I have upgraded my setup to
1500J which will tear an empty can apart.

There is noticeable crushing at only 200J, better at 300.  Also dependent on
the turns used. Note that 3 turns at 2400 V 110uF (300J) had an effect but 3
turns at 5200 V 35 uF (300J) had no effect.

Now a question for the clever people:
What happens when you try to crush a full can with 1500J?
a: Nothing - total energy is absorbed and makes the can a bit warmer.
b: Not much different. Can tears in half.
c: Pressure wave explodes the can at the weakest point.
d: Other (eg opens a worm hole, triggers brief fusion reaction)

Answer and other info/pics/videos on my site.
http://tesladownunder.iinet.net.au/misc1.htm#Can%20crusher%202

Peter