RE: Useful HV PSU's from x-ray equipment (fwd)

Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:32:53 -0500
From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Useful HV PSU's from x-ray equipment (fwd)

Hi Peter,

No, we have not yet solved the challenges of such high input potentials
for Tesla, yet.  We are working on this because of the much lower
current and capacitance demands that would be encountered at the higher
voltage levels.  Utilizing, a current regulated variable input
transformer, the output can, of course, be regulated over the full range
to over 100 kV, making the PSU useful for many HV projects.

Our next coil is to be constructed over the coming summer and we will be
trying the 30 to 60 kV input range with this design.  All data will be
published immediately.  The quenching of the gap and arcing of the
primary seem to be the two greatest challenges and immersing the primary
in oil shows promise in solving the latter.

Interestingly, we have just completed work on a second unit identical to
the one that is pictured powering the 8' Jacob's ladder at over 110,000
volts on 120V residential mains. On the second unit, we also placed the
secondaries of the 2 floating internal (416:1) transformers in series to
give a measured step up of right at 830:1.  It was placed out in the
shop and powered to full limit of our 90 Amp Variac, which is 356 VAC.
With the output approaching 300kV, the power arc produced is something
to see regardless of the current lack of practical use for 3/10 of a
Megavolt  ;}

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I have personally enjoyed your site also and learned a
great deal from your interesting articles.  Your neat voltage divider
that is coupled with an x-ray KVP meter was the inspiration for our
website article on how dividers work how to construct them.  Some of the
x-ray equipment contains very large (~12" long) 150 kV rated resistors
in the 100 to 300 MegOhm range.  We are finishing a divider using them
that we hope will allow direct scalar reading of the full range of
the150 kVP panel meter.

Carl Litton