RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole transformer). (fwd)

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:12:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: J. Aaron Holmes <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive ballast (for pole
    transformer). (fwd)

I've got a friend with a particularly expensive
digital still camera that has many, many options for
shutter control.  I plan to have him come over and see
what can be done.  My camera is a low-end dial-a-shot
type.  Works for most things, but I haven't had much
luck photographing arcs with it.  Actually, I've had
better luck taking video of arcs and then capturing
frames from the video.  Always the opacity of the arc
is exaggerated, particularly noticable with a dimmer
NST arc, which looks like a solid white flame on video
when it really ought to be more of a translucent aura.
 With pigs, it really is an opaque fireball :)

--- High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:15:13 -0500
> From: Carl Litton <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: Cheap parts for high-power resistive
> ballast (for pole
>     transformer). (fwd)
>
> Aaron,
>
> If you are successful with the project and make that
> picture, please let
> me know how you photographed it.  I can never seem
> to capture on film
> anything near what the arc actually looks like.
>
> I have a JL running a nearly 150,000 Volts in my
> living room and it is
> spectacular.  When I run it outside, I use my
> 300,000 Volt PSU  (this is
> 30 kVA at 100 ma) and I would love to be able to
> post pic of it.
>
> Carl Litton

=== message truncated ===