Marx spark gaps (fwd)

Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:57:40 +0200
From: Herwig Roscher <herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Marx spark gaps

Hello!

Trying to understand the function of Marx generators, I searched the
web and found several descriptions like this:

"The charging voltage is applied to the system. The stage capacitors
charge through the charging resistors (Rc). When fully charged,
either the lowest gap is allowed to breakdown from overvoltage or it
is triggered by an external source (if the gap spacing is set greater
than the charging voltage breakdown spacing). This effectively puts
the bottom two capacitors in series, overvoltaging the next gap up,
which then puts the bottom three capacitors in series, which
overvoltages the next gap, and so forth. This process is referred to
as "erecting".

For a charging voltage of e.g. 20 kV the first gap should break down
at 20 kV, the second gap at 40 kV, the third gap at 60 kV and so on.
Consequently the gap distance of the first gap should be about .27",
that of the second gap about .54", that of the third gap about .81"
and so on.

To my surprise I found, that all of the described Marx generators
were said to have EQUAL gap distances (with the exception of the
first gap, which is set a little bit closer sometimes).

Looking for the reason of this unexpected recommendation I found:

"The Firing Probability of Coupling Spark Gaps of the Multiplying
Circuit according to Marx" by A. Rodewald, Basel

This technical documentation contains a lot of useful information and
could be downloaded from

http://www.haefely.com/literature/pdf/scientific/e1-04.pdf

I am hoping that you will find it interesting as well.

Bye		Herwig

Greed is the root of all evil !