Re: Cockroft Walton Voltage Multiplier (fwd)

Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:14:49 -0700
From: David Mathes <airman@xxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Cockroft Walton Voltage Multiplier (fwd)

First off, the name is Cockcroft, not Cockroft.

Second, the circuit was first discovered much earlier, in 1919, by Heinrich Greinacher, a Swiss physicist

Third, Sir Cockcroft and Sir Walton did win the Noble Prize in 1951, but they only used this circuit design to be the first to succeed in performing in 1932 the Nobel feat, the first nuclear disintegration.

Finally,  Diode protection is paramount but not as bad as it seems. CW multipliers come in a variety of sizes from room size to palm size. Larger sizes require resistors due to high current and power levels. Smaller physical sizes (PCB level) can use high value insulation although I would recommend two coats minimum.

aDvid

--
David Mathes