RE: faraday cage questions (fwd)

Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:32:25 -0800
From: Jim Mora <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'High Voltage list' <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Parkinen' <parkinen@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: faraday cage questions (fwd)

Hi Steve,

I built a satellite dish years ago (before military level scrambling) and I
am "assuming" (key word) this is the reverse of what your needs are. As I
remember, 1/4" mesh was all that was needed to reflect 4 Ghz.

Seemingly, calculate the primary wavelength you will be running at, and
adjust as needed. I would think 1 inch chicken wire would work; way cheaper.

The pass-through is a whole different issue. I'll defer to our HV RF friends
how to do this as it is again and again stated as problematic.

You clearly want a very good EMI filter outside the box to catch the any
stray leakage and high frequency harmonics.

The only Faraday cage I have ever been in was copper mesh screen, and that
was to keep EMI out...no money spared.

Regards,
Jim Mora