Re: Marx using inductors (fwd)

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:27:11 -0500
From: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx using inductors (fwd)

Jonathan

You basically want the most inductance you can get, since impedance
goes up with inductance.  Also, since homemade marx's are likely to
have some jitter, increasing the overall time until spark breakdown at
the output, the inductors should be larger so that their impedance is
still suitably high to this lower than ideal frequency output.  I have
also been thinking about switching my marx generators to inductor
charging (id like to run it at 120bps).  Id probably use some 36awg
wire since i already have it.  I have also thought about potting some
ferrite inside of the inductors (it would have to be well isolated
with epoxy or something).  I havent done any calculations, but if the
rise-time of the marx (that is, the time for which the inductors must
stand off the stage-to-stage voltage) is just a few 10's of nS, then
it should be possible to keep the ferrite from saturating, while
greatly increasing the inductance.

Good luck.  You should probably make a test 2-3 stage unit first!

Steve