Re: Marx using inductors (fwd)

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:16:14 +1200
From: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx using inductors (fwd)

Hi Jonathon,
                     I built two Marx banks using inductors in the past
(see comments below):

On 22 Jun 2006, at 7:42, High Voltage list wrote:

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

Just set the gaps to suit the caps a la TCs.

> If I did use the resistors rather than inductors, how would I calculate the
> break rate, assuming the 12/120 NST, a voltage doubler and the 5mOhm
> resistors? I realize factors like corona loss, etc, will come into play, but
> just looking for a way to ballpark it.

The breakrate with resistors would be in the dirt. Calculate using
RC time constants. For a first approximation forget about coronas.
A properly designed system shouldn't have them anyway. The
whole point of going to inductors was to allow high(er) firing rates
plus minimizing power loss in the charging process.

> As to the inductors, I had thought about ferrite cores, but for some reason
> figgered that that wouldn't be OK. Of course, unless I can scrounge the
> ferrite slugs they will add cost too. Any figures on what the minimum usable
> inductance is?

Ferrites work well. I used ferrite rods designed for use as radio
aerial rods. Saturation shouldn't be an issue for two reasons:
inductor current is limited by the erection/discharge time of the
bank and the end-end airgaps are huge.

       As to inductances, I got the idea for my Marx's (before I heard
that it was commonly being done) from reading the Amateur
Scientist article on the pulsed UV laser using a Blumlein switch. I
never built the laser but did build the switch and was impressed by
how little inductance was required to do the job. The more the
merrier of course and my Marx's used several mH per choke but
the original Blumlein switch had an inductor of just a few uH.

> Thanks for all the suggestions. I will indees use Tesla coils style
> construction, sand and finish the PVC and make  2-3 stages first and work
> out the kinks.

A word of warning - the thing is an electronics killer par excellence.
Right this day I am repairing a piece of equipment which had been
mothballed at the time I was conducting Marx experiments in the
workshop and was dug out for revival a few days ago. The tally so
far - 10 logic ICs. I spent three days repairing workshop carnage at
the time. Ignorance was bliss until I realized too late what I had
done.

Malcolm