Re: Of Mice and HV (fwd)

Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:01:57 +0930
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Of Mice and HV (fwd)

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions on this topic.  I need
something portable and fairly safe, since we have dogs in the house.

Something battery (NiMH) operated with a capacitor discharge, all driven
by a microcontroller is the ultimate aim.  uC does the PWM to charge the
cap, and keep it charged (using model with built-in A to D to maintain
within suitable voltage range); also fires SCR.  Will probably run of 4x
AA NiMH, as I should be able to run the uC without regulation.

For the time being, I have rigged a simple device, whereby the mouse has
to climb over two wires to get to the bait.  I've left it in my office,
along with a few conventional traps, as I've had the vermin running
around the floor whilst I've been sitting in here.

Image for those with decent Internet connections:
<http://www.smiffysplace.com/img/mouse_zapper1.jpg>
Image for those with slower (dial-up) Internet connections:
<http://www.smiffysplace.com/img/mouse_zapper1_640.jpg>

Bait is a mixture of peanut butter and Lindt chocolate (we're not
spoiling the mice, they'd already nibbled it in my wife's handbag).

Box is seen without lid.  Wires are supported on a pair of silicone
corks.  Box has removable panels at either end, which is handy.

Now to wait and see!

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
IT Consultancy & Web Application Development