Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch, (fwd)

Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 07:08:12 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Geek Group High Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch,  (fwd)

High Voltage list wrote:
> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006
> 08:27:45 -0800 (PST) From: C. Sibley <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx> To: High
> Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: The Geek Group High
> Voltage Capacitors, making a HV switch,  (fwd)
>
> With respect to charging, how large of a power supply does one need?
> I'm considering two of the geek capacitors in parallel, for 14.8uF.
> If I were to charge with a 60mA 15KV NST to a peak voltage of
> (24500V), I calculate total energy of 4500 Joules.  Assuming a .8
> power factor, a 60mA 15K NST puts out about 720W.  Since "Joules" is
> watt*seconds, is it just as simple as dividing Joules/watts to get
> seconds of charging time?  With that I get just over 6 seconds, but
> that seems like a low number.  I assume that I'm doing something
> wrong, but even with a factor of 10 it's only a minute.  Is an NST a
> good choice for a charger, or should I look for something bigger?
>
> Curt.

Hi Curt,

Remember that the NST will only deliver charging current to the
capacitor when it's output voltage is higher than that of the capacitor
bank. As the bank charges, this becomes a decreasing portion of the
output voltage waveform. In addition, an NST delivers considerably less
current at higher output voltage due to its declining I versus E curve.
Both of these effects can result in considerably longer charging times
when using NST's. Charging times of a minute or more are typical.
However, you can speed up the charging process, even when driving from
an NST supply, by using a voltage doubler or tripler circuit instead of
a simple diode bridge.

Don't skimp on the PIV rating of your rectifier chains - use _at least_
2X the peak voltage from your NST's on each leg. You may also want to
consider using pulse-rated ceramic tube or rod resistors from Kanthal
Globar or HVR Advanced Power for your bleeder and/or charging resistors.
These can safely absorb tens of kilojoules of energy. They handle
transient energy peaks MUCH better than wirewound or film resistors
which can fail open (sometimes spectacularly).
http://www.globar.com/ec/resistor.php.html
http://www.hvrapc.com/rodandtube.asp

BTW, HVR Advanced Power has a nice tool on their site for calculating
pulsed power rating of their various resistors. This is very nice for
various pulse and energy dump or bleeder applications:
http://www.hvrapc.com/WebModules/Calc/Series.aspx

Heed Jim and Peter's words well - design the front end and controls for
your system very robustly, and be sure to add a series
charging/discharging resistor between your HV supply and the bank. Have
an alternative fail-safe bleed off method (and a supplementary crowbar
switch/resistor if you really want added insurance). A well insulated
shorting stick (connected to bank ground through a high power pulse
rated resistor) can be used to probe a (supposedly) dead system before
touching/reparing anything.

Design your entire system so that, if any system component fails,
explosive destruction of the system (or experimenter) will not occur.
This includes the caps in the capacitor bank. High energy discharge caps
can typically absorb the energy from only one or two other identical
units without a case rupture. However, larger paralleled banks can have
"exciting" failure modes. Plan adequately for bank location, protection
of adjacent caps, and retention of oil or cap innards in case of a
catastrophic failure.

Make sure that you can always accurately measure the voltage on the
capacitor bank at all times and add bleeders across any cap(s) used in
multipliers. Use a dedicated voltage measurement system, NOT a hand held
voltage probe! Do not "haywire" a high energy system. You may also want
to measure current through the bleeder resistor to provide a bit more
redundancy.

The short circuit energy in these capacitors cannot be adequately
described in an email. They will not give you a second chance... never,
ever, forget this.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured