Re: Exploding wire (fwd)

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 19:52:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Exploding wire (fwd)

Jim,
      It would seem that you need to try it lol..  I don't know the resistance of that piano wire, but it would seem that the instantaneous power surge would be the volltage squared divided by that resistance...however many feet you try.  There is probably some lower threshold you need to exceed for spectacular results...I'd also find out about how robust the geek caps are,  They pride themselves in making sure you get the best cap for the buck.   The reason being is that 50kV  vs 40kV will increase that instaneous power not just by a factor of 1.25 but rather by 1.56.   56% more power is not insignificant.  Work up to it from 40kV until you find out how well the caps work..,.I'm sure they can take it.
        Hope you are doing this in a well ventilated area....I've seen the smoke(metal vapor?) and it can't be that good to inhale.
  Mike