Back on the Marx project (fwd)

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:54:31 -0700
From: Jonathan Peakall <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Back on the Marx project

Hi All,

Whew! Finally back on the Marx project. The start of the school year just
throws everything on hold.

I have a test bank of 5 stages running, sort of. I see that I need to
improve the spark gaps, get some real HV resistors and a few other things.
It is working though, and it sure is loud.

I was having fun until I blew a diode string. Of course it was my fault, I
didn't have Dr R's protection resistor/inductor in place. Naturally, I want
to put it on now before I blow another string. I'm not quite sure how to
place it however.

I am using a simple voltage doubler. The center tap of the NST is unused. So
the case is floating hot during operation and is not connected to the mains
ground.

Do I hook it up like this?

+HV---/\/\/\/\/\/\---Inductor----Marx Bank-----Output

Seems like this leaves the doubler and the NST still at risk.

Thanks!

Jonathan