Re: Short video clip of 18" x18" Lichtenberg Figure being discharged (fwd)

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:26:43 -0600
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Short video clip of 18" x18" Lichtenberg Figure being discharged
    (fwd)

Dave,

Interesting question - possible x-ray generation via runaway electrons!
We didn't think to bring radiation measuring equipment. Unfortunately,
the only radiation measuring device I have is a Geiger Counter, and it's
unlikely that this would have detected any short x-ray pulses during
discharges, if they existed.

However, the folks at the accelerator facility did provide me with a
quartz fiber direct reading pocket dosimeter which I had to wear for the
entire day (we used almost 8 hours of beam time). During this time I
probably discharged 700-800 specimens. I just checked with the facility
- the device was a Nuclear Associates Model 138, 0 - 200 mR dosimeter.
This is similar to the following model from Arrow-Tech. The device is a
quartz fiber electrometer that's initially charged to about 200 volts.
X-rays or gamma rays will partially remove charge, permitting the device
to directly measure cumulative exposure to radiation. This particular
device was sensitive to x-ray photons between 16 keV and 6 MeV:
http://www.arrowtechinc.com/Catalog_pdf/lrdosimeter.pdf

At the end of the day, the dosimeter was checked by their radiation
physicist, and it (apparently) didn't register an abnormal amount of
radiation. Unfortunately, I didn't think to record the actual reading at
the time - I'll have to do so on our next run. Interestingly, similar
dosimeters have in fact been used to detect the presence of low energy
x-rays from nanosecond high pressure air discharges as described in a
number of papers in the literature.

Since my dosimeter did not register a significant accumulated dose, this
may imply that runaway electrons were not being generated during our
discharges. Or, since the discharges occur primarily inside the PMMA,
perhaps any low energy x-rays were subsequently absorbed by the
surrounding acrylic before they could irradiate the dosimeter (and me!).
In any event, it looks like discharging Lichtenberg Figures does not
cause x-ray sunburns...  :^)

Bert

--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured