Re: Green laser pointers (fwd)

Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:00:02 -0700
From: Peter Lawrence <Peter.Lawrence@xxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Green laser pointers

Steve, or anyone else...,

I've always wondered why they can make such hi-powered green
lasers, but not red or yellow ?

-Pete Lawrence.

[They do make high-powered solid-state red lasers, but yellow I'm not so
sure about.  The green ones are more complicated than the red, which are
just laser diodes with red output.  A green dpss laser has a solid-sate IR
laser (808 nm typically) that's used to pump another laser crystal (Nd:YAG
or Nd:YVO4) that puts out 1064 nm "light".  The 1064 nm radiation is then
passed through a frequency doubling crystal (KTP) to get the nice green
532 nm.  I'm not sure how easy it is to find a medium that lases at a
specific frequency, and I would imagine there are peaks in the doubling
process as well, making off-resonant wavelength conversion less efficient.
SRR]