Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:12:35 +0100
From: Chris Swinson <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

Hi Malcolm,

> How were they positioned relative to the transmitting coil? Equally spaced
> around
> it?

Yes.

>You can demonstrate the effects of directors such as you find on yagi
> antennae by placing receiving coils in a line. I did that using a metal
> bench as a
> ground plane (a long time ago).

You can't place them in a line as such, the coils in effect screen the
transmission power. A little bit more complex than that but thats the idea.

> Have you measured the actual input and output power of your transmitter or
> are
> you going on transformer faceplate ratings? Beware of non-sinusoidal
> waveforms
> messing up readings on multimeters.

The transformers are current limited. If I could draw more wattage from them
I could have used a larger tank cap for short runs.

> Some real measurements will show where the truth lies. Using the
> brilliance of
> lightbulbs as a measure is a rather dubious proposition. It is a very
> popular
> technique on Keelynet-type expts.

I keep telling people I charged up capacitors on DC and calculated the rate
of charge over 20 seconds. Lamps are good for a "first order" indication. I
was not happy with just lamps, which is why I spent a fortune on special
diodes and worked on regular DC levels.

> These are quite common little demonstrations of e.m. coupling. Recently
> some
> prof somewhere hit the headlines with a suggestion that HF RF could be use
> wirelessly charge cellphone batteries etc. as though it were something
> new. I
> guess he forgot or never knew about Tesla. It was all near-field stuff as
> in fact my
> use of a local radio station to power a bank of LEDs in my study is.

Exactly, makes me stick really, There was a post about a group of people who
transmitted 60watts over 2 meters, big deal, I did 300watts 15 years ago,
Tesla did did it way before anyone else. People should do a litlte homework
before hand!

>> If the transmitter is not coupled and has all these losses, then the
>> transmitter is not being loaded ? if so it would mean we could obtain
>> 100watts almost unlimited times ?!
>
> Does that seem reasonable? An unloaded (uncoupled-to-load) transmitter
> should
> have few losses shouldn't it?

Not the transmitter, the losses are over the distance but its only voltage,
its not really that important. It is the same as if you had a 1:1 isolation
transformer, seperate the primary & secodary coils,  what happens ? the
coupling drops, the power on the secondary drops, but thing is, if you can
only obtain a few mA from the secondary then really it can't load the
primary in any way, its just to far away!  Of course its as simple as I can
tell it, may not necessarly be a working example.

>> All being said and done, that's all the facts and figures in a "overview"
>> kind of way.  Figures are the best I can come up with to fit the results.
>> They could be totally wrong though even so I can light up 300watts worth
>> of
>> lamps form my tesla coil. The interesting test would have been to add 3
>> more
>> coils, but something I just could not do unfortunately. So reason why I
>> posted my results to see if anyone else had done anything interesting
>> along
>> these lines before ?
>
> I think you should arrange things so you can take the expt. further. It
> hardly
> seems a satisfactory conclusion is reached when stopping at this point.

I stopped at this point 10 years ago, its why I am talking about it now as I
just can't continue this work easily on my own. Annoying as it may be, what
choice do I have ? I am trying to build a tesla coil working on low voltage
and using high Q coils and obtaining the step-up via pc/sc ratios, though
its slow going :-(

Its a side step direction really. trying to build a cheap solid state
system. the DRSSTC will probably be my next attempt if I can't get my own to
work. Even so, will not be until next year.

Really all I need is a better spark gap driven coil, they do make solid
state spark gaps now, cost a fortune, good tank cap and good transformer and
should obtain much better results. Though I will never be able to afford to
build it. again its why I am trying to get people to understand my results
as one day someone may be able to make use of my results. Nobout it will end
up in the OU archives as unfinished or unproven OU devices, though unless I
win the lotto then that's where it will have to stay.

I am going to build a very small proof of concept device soon, will document
it and video it and host everything on my site for a while. Hopefully it
will spark some interest, pardon the pun!

I am trying to obtain funds for the final build, though I doubt anyone will
take the project serious, so not holding out on hopes. To be honest, All
this work was done years ago, I just want the device to be proven OU or not
OU, really don't care which after all this time. Though I hate unfinished
things, but as I can't hardly put food in the table, building devices is
just not going to happen anytime soon. Its the reason I am trying to tell
everyone about my results. Some may agree, some may flame me, I really don't
care. My findings are published on various groups and WebPages so maybe
eventually in time the truth will be known.

Chris