Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:30:57 +1200
From: m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)

On 27 Sep 2007, at 18:29, High Voltage list wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:29:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:           	"High Voltage list" <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	hvlist <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	Re: tesla coil power ?! (fwd)
Forwarded by:   	hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Date forwarded: 	Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:29:45 -0600 (MDT)

> Original poster: Steven Roys <sroys@xxxxxxxxxx>

You can and I used to do it regularly. You only "screen" the transmitter if the
intervening coils suffer losses (e.g. sparks).

> > Have you measured the actual input and output power of your transmitter or
> > are
> > you going on transformer faceplate ratings? Beware of non-sinusoidal
> > waveforms
> > messing up readings on multimeters.
>
> The transformers are current limited. If I could draw more wattage from them
> I could have used a larger tank cap for short runs.

Current limiting is usually inductive which then gives rise to resonant cap
charging. Resistive current-limiting rules don't count. Inductors store energy.

Malcolm