Re: Pulstar spark plugs or snake oil? (fwd)

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:54:49 EST
From: Mddeming@xxxxxxx
To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Pulstar spark plugs or snake oil? (fwd)

HI Daniel,

Nine troublesome thoughts:

1) Voltage doesn't heat up anything.

2) Power (the rate at which energy is used) cannot, by definition, be  stored.

3) Once the fuel/air mixture around the spark is ignited, the  flame ignites
the rest of the fuel in the cylinder, the spark itself is  irrelevant. A
hotter initial spark does mean better ignition but this can be  achieved with a
heavy-duty coil. The difference, outside of a racing  environment, is not great.

4) One joule of energy expended in one second is one watt. One joule  of
energy expended in one millisecond is one kilowatt peak power. That same one
joule of energy expended in the first microsecond is one megawatt peak power.
It's all the same amount of energy being transferred, it's just the height and
skinniness of the pulse that determines the peak power. (Power = energy / time
interval).

5) IF it occurs, increased cylinder pressure = increased ring wear = loss  of
power over time = early engine rebuild. Running at a higher pressure than the
 rings and return springs were designed for does not increase long-term
performance.

6) Their "high speed video" is animation, not photographs, so  it can show
anything they want it to.

7) In their comparison, two identical size crankshafts,  rotating at
identical speeds, turning identical loads, are producing identical torque,  despite
their big red arrows.

8) If, as I suspect, the "pulse circuit" is just a low ESR capacitor,
depending on your car, the unanticipated capacitive load may wreak  havoc with the
electronic ignition system, and like most caps with a spark gap  across them,
these  will have a somewhat shortened life, after which  the "pulse plug"
becomes an ordinary spark plug.

9) If, as I suspect, the "pulse circuit" is just a low ESR capacitor,  and
there is resonance between the ignition coil and the capacitors in the  plugs,
they may generate significant RFI at unanticipated frequencies.

Matt D.

"There is a point past which, adding more horses to your  carriage team
results in more manure with no increase  in speed or comfort." Anon. 15th. century.
engineer

In a message dated 1/14/08 9:50:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,