[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla!

Re: building a current limiting choke myself...I have references that I
can use to get the formulas, I was just being lazy.  I think I'm going to
use my variac until I can build something.  I'll just keep an eye out for
old transformers to get the iron plates to use as the core.  There's a
large hamfest coming up the second weekend in September, so I plan
on picking up parts there.

Concerning the use of arc welders or transformers-I would have thought
that the secondary would have to be open, not shorted?  All you want is
a large enough inductor in series so the impedence at 60 Hz keeps the
current below the meltdown level.  If you shorted the secondary, it
seems that you would be drawing current limited only by the internal
resistance or current-limiting construction of the transformer that
you're using as a choke?  An early issue of the TCBA newsletter
suggested using regular motors (1/3 hp, etc...) with the rotor removed
in series to control the current, although I don't know what size wire is
used in motors so I have no idea whether it could take 20 Amps without
melting.  An alternative would be to rewind the motor with larger wire.

Another recent article in the TCBA Newsletter (the one about the DC
Tesla coil built with microwave oven transformers) mentioned using a
bunch of microwave transformers in series with the HV output to limit
the current.  Another article in a previous TCBA newsletter was cited as
a reference, but I don't have the issue mentioned.  If anyone else does,
I'd appreciate a brief review of the article.  I don't know what issue was
mentioned right now since I'm at work and everything else is at home,
but the DC Tesla coil that mentions it was either in the last or the next
to the last newsletter.

Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)