Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 17:30:21 +0200 (EET)
From: Kristian Tapani Ukkonen <kukkonen-at-snakemail.hut.fi>
To: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug.st-louis.mo.us>
Subject: Re: TESLA-COILS ETC.

On Thu, 8 Dec 1994, Richard Quick wrote:

> Hello in return! Before I go on, let me apologize in advance if
> you see several copies of this message. This internet connection
> is brand new and all of the bugs are not worked out yet.

Your connection worked fine - I got only one message..

> I can also recommend additional sources of high quality, high-
> powered Tesla video if you wish.

Yes, that would be useful.

> Please make use of the images in whatever manner you see fit as
> long as my name is associated with them. I would appreciate it
> if you would see to it that I received copies of the converted
> images. I do not have the ability to economically convert the
> video to digital. I would trade permission to convert and
> duplicate any images in exchange for all the converted mpegs.

That is fine - can I mail you the converted images as mime-packages
or can you get them from the ftp-site? (ftp.funet.fi) ?

> that I have an internet address, most of my posting is being done
> through a Tesla group here in the states.

I joined the tesla grounb right away as soon as I got to know
about it.

> I just sent Jim Oliver my latest archive. If you don't have a
> copy please let one of us know so that a copy may be transmitted

I don't have a copy - but Chip A. mentioned that there is an archive
of old messages.. Is this archive ftp:able? if not, can I put the
files to the ftp site to be available for the rest of the world?

> Ask any questions you wish and I will try my best to answer. Is
> it OK to copy the questions and answers into the internet Tesla
> mail group I mentioned earlier?

It is ok to forward the answers/quentions..

My current plan is as follows:

 Secondary:
16cm diameter, 38cm long, wound using .3 mm wire, about 1000 turns,
insulated with acrylic spray and epoxy resin on the upper half of
the coil.
(I did this before reading you postings about secondaries)
 Primary:
flat spiral coil wound of 8 mm dia copper pipe, inner diameter
20cm outer 47cm, 11 turns
Transformer
One or more 4kV 45mA neon-sign transformers
 Capasitor
8nF, made from pvc-plates 1mm thick and copper plates between
them, the pvc has a voltage rating of 50kV/mm (dc). This will
be immersed into oil.
 Capasitive hat
Toroid, made from plastic pipe and aluminium tape as you described,
a little bit small - 17cm diameter, 5 cm cross section diameter
 Spark-gap
Made from two brass bolts with adjustable distance.

Those are the basic facts of the system so far - does that sound
reasonable at all? I do know that 4kV is a low primary voltage
but we don't have neon-sign x-formers with higher voltages around
here in Finland. :( I might be able to get 10kV 20mA oil-burner
transformers though - but the 4kV would sound nice for the first
prototype..

What about the secondary form - I've read from other sources that
about 2:1 - 2.4:1 would be optimal but you have written than
4:1 - 5:1 would be more reasonable..  What is the effect of
fatter secondary coil?

How do I connect the toroid to the secondary - what should be the
distance between the top of the secondary and the toroid - shall
I just use aluminium tape to attach the wire from the secondary?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

>  Ku> Jim Oliver mentioned to me that you might have practical
>  Ku> information about coil-guns and high-power lasers as well -
> Some, but I don't consider myself an expert in these areas,
> rather more of a student.

I'm thinking about making some experiments with coil-guns as I found
a nice source for 1-2 kJ caps (1kV) that are suitable for this..
Do you know what kind of an assembly I should use for optimal
output - I do have experimented a bit with 20J system (slow caps) but
I presume that this will act a whole low differently..

Should the coils be one-layer or multilayer?
Can I just use a spark-gap with remote-controlled plastic plate
 between the electrodes as a switch?

Thanks again for your answers,

  Kristian Ukkonen.

btw: I read that Tesla had given extensive series of interviews to
magazines around 1910 about his "destractive weapon capable of destroying
people and things anywhere around the world" (from Keelynet archives)
.. The texts where these things are mentioned sound like "propaganda"
to me (false information) but references are mentioned.. What do you
think? Here is a quote :

>          1907: When commenting on the destruction of the French ship Iena,
>        Tesla noted in a letter to the New York Times that he has built and
>        tested remotely controlled torpedoes, but that electrical waves
>        would be more destructive.  "As to projecting wave energy to any
>        particular region of the globe ... this can be done by my devices,"
>        he wrote.  Further, he claimed that "the spot at which the desired
>        effect is to be produced can be calculated very closely, assuming
>        the accepted terrestrial measurements to be correct."
>
>          1908: Tesla repeated the idea of destruction by electrical waves
>        to the newspaper on April 21st.  His letter to the editor stated,
>        "When I spoke of future warfare I meant that it should be conducted
>        by direct application of electrical waves without the use of aerial
>        engines or other implements of destruction."  He added: "This is
>        not a dream. Even now wireless power plants could be constructed by
>        which any region of the globe might be rendere uninhabitable
>        without subjecting the population of other parts to serious danger
>        or inconvenience."
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12