[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary gap motors

cc: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com

Richard,

As I'm looking for motors for my rotary gap, what kind of horsepower rating
do I need?  Is 1/8 horsepower big enough?  I am thinking that I want a
universal or DC motor so I can control the speed.  Is this necessary - or
just go with an AC motor that will turn at about 5,000 RPM?

I noticed something the other day, when I have the coil running with only the
8000 watt resistive load, I get less performance (shorter discharges and not
as intense) that when I am using the resistive load in series with the
welder.  This is at about the same current level also.  Does this make any
sense to you?

Thanks,  Ed Sonderman