Apparently this demonstration showed that most of the charge in a Leyden jar
capacitor is stored in the dielectric. Anyway I have reproduced the
discussion from rec.pyrotechnics below just in case anyone is interested:

       Friday, 14 July 1995 20:08:40
          rec.pyrotechnics Item
  From:           David Brooks,daveb-at-perth.DIALix.oz.au,News Only
  Subject:        Re: TC Transformer Phasing (was RE: tesla coils(help))
  To:             rec.pyrotechnics
Steve Roys <sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu> writes:

>> 	Also, if you do use the capacitors, you should be aware that they
>> store the electricity, and even if you shut off the input power to it,
>> they MAY STILL BE CHARGED.  You must discharge the capacitors to make
>> sure that they are safe.

>Another thing is that high voltage capacitors can recharge themselves
>after being discharged, so It's a good idea to short out the caps
>immediately before making any adjustments.  It's also good practice to
>store HV caps with the terminals wired together so you don't get any
>surprises.

>> Also, before playing with the stuff and getting your hands dirty, grab
>> a voltmeter, and check for any residual voltages.  It could save your
life.

>The might not work too well for a cap charged to 10kV, your voltmeter would
>probably complain. :-)  For large HV caps it's safer to assume they're
>charged and always short them out.

  Yet another good precaution is to connect a bleeder resistor
_permanently_ across that nasty HV capacitor. The value will naturally
depend on the application, but see descriptions of high power amateur
radio transmitters for some examples.
 Another is to provide a HV relay, which shorts the relevant points to
ground. Said relay being pulled open-circuit by the DC supply power. This
ensures that everything fails safe when power is off. BTW, put a
low-value _high wattage_ resistor in series with those relay contacts, so as
not to burn them when they do close on a fully charged HV cap.

--

          Monday, 17 July 1995 4:03:10
          rec.pyrotechnics Item