[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pole pigs

Chip,

My pole pig is rated at 5 kva (a small one).  The secondary produces 14,400
volts and has two high voltage bushings.  This should give me about 350 ma of
secondary current.  Last night I was running 35 amps of primary current which
is about 8.4kva.  This should have provided 580 ma of secondary current.

Be sure and get a two bushing transformer if you can find one.  This way,
both of the high voltage leads are isolated from the case.  If you can only
find single bushing versions, you might want to get two and connect the cases
together and to ground - like a neon sign transformer.

BTW, I paid $100 for this from my local utility company, all cleaned up and
tested.

Ed Sonderman