[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparking behavior and a magnifier question

You wrote:

>Magnifier question(s):
>If I have a 1/4 wave secondary coil that resonates at frequency f, and
wanted
>to use it in a magnifier setup, do I drive it at f, or f/2?  I thought

>I heard that it was f/2 once from Richard Quick.

If the primary and extra coil oscillate at f, then the secondary should
be quarter wave reseonant at a substantially higher frequency near BUT
NOT EXACTLY EQUAL to 2f.  You do not want resonance effects from the
secondary, only transformer action.

>The other question is: If a magnifier is basically a base driven
resonator(?)
>and it is driven at a specific frequency that causes it to resonate,
>and a tesla tank circuit oscillates at a frequency, then why not make
>tank circuit and electrically connect it to the base of a secondary
from
>a 1/4 wave coil?  _____
>   ________      (_____)
>  |        |        3
> ===       -at-        3
>  |___Z____|________3
>
>Z -- spark gap
>-at- -- primary L
>=== -- primary C
>

>The only difference between this setup and another tesla setup is that
>the secondary is not nestled within the primary, but is a ways away.
>Assuming that the primary tank circuit is tuned to the correct
frequency
>(see question 1), would you see any resonance or magnifier action?
>Actually, if I new the answer to 1, I could experiment on 2.
>
>Chip

The above will absolutely work.  The problem is the impedance of the
primary circuit with component values we are used to is too low and
would provide a bad match to the secondary.  It would require a very
small cap and large primary coil to be a good match.  This creates the
problem of how to get power into a small cap.  (Hmm, where have I heard
that one before?).  Sharp thinkin' though.

Zap,
Mark