[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Q's and Spark Gaps

Ed Philips wrote:

the response and inverting the above expression to get the
equivalent value of k.  Note that, as long as k*Q is much above 3,
the timing depens on k only, and not on Q.  By the way, running the
same SPICE simulation made it obvious that one would like much
higher values of k than you might expect from critical coupling,
which gives the maximum gain when the primary is fed from a current
source such as a vacuum tube.  The simulation I ran charged the
capacitor to a fixed voltage and then discharged it into the primaryh
winding.

Hi Ed,
	I also ran some simulations and found that going beyond
critical coupling gives much better efficiency. Although there are now
two frequencies, efficiency is improved for k>kc. One of course would not
want to go to k=1 since all the resonant voltage gain would be lost. You
may be interested some papers/book which cover the Q,k parameter space for
pulse discharge circuits:

High Voltage Laboratory Technique - JD Craggs and JM Meek

Design Charts for Tesla Transformer-type relativistic electron beam
generators - H Matsuzawa and S Suganomata
Review of Sicentific Instruments Vol53 No5 May 1982 p694

A Tesla transformer high-voltage generator
CR Hoffmann
Rev Sci Instr Vol46 No1 Jan 1975 p1

Transformer type accelerators for intense electron beams
EA Abramyan
IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, NS-18 p447 (1971)

 -Ed Harris